It should always be safe to have a smoke alarm in any building whether industrial or residential. Particularly in buildings that are quite old but still in mass use. In some countries and cities the installation of some alarm is mandated by law. In the paragraphs that follow, we will be precisely discussing the type of smoke alarms available in market and some best brands that could be picked.
Types Of Smoke Alarms:
The market has been predominantly following the two technologies of Smoke detection. They are the ionization type and photoelectric smoke detectors. We will briefly discuss their working mechanisms and benefits in this section.
- Ionization Type Smoke Detectors – This particular type comprises of two plates, one positively and one negatively charged. Smoke produces a combination of Oxygen, Nitrogen and Electrons. The positively charged Oxygen and Nitrogen ions get attracted to the Negative plate and negatively charged electrons do the same to the Positive plate and eventually neutralize them. This causes a reduction in the current within the plates and sets the alarm off detecting smoke. This technology is good in detecting fire when there are flames.
- Photoelectric Type Smoke Detectors – This type uses a less complicated technology. It uses a Light Emitting Diode(LED). The light beam projected from the diode is scattered by the smoke when in contact thus setting off the alarm. This is best in catching smoldering fire even before there is a proper flame burst.
Best Smoke Detectors In The Market:
Now we will discuss about the best brands available in the market for smoke detection.
- BRK Brands 7010B Hardwire: This is a photoelectric one but is more appropriate for bigger and commercial places like offices and hotels. Once the alarm goes off, the direction of the smoke can also confirmed. It is operated on a 9V battery and has a 360 degree Optipath technology to assess the air quality around the area of installation.
- Kidde 19040 Fire Sentry: It uses ionization and is quite cheap. It can be used in both home and offices and in more than one places without causing much pain to your pocket. Its humble 4 inches body is not at all hazardous to the décor and is really easy to install. It is best to be installed in places where fire hazard is a possibility such as the kitchen.
- Kidde Combination CO And Smoke Alarm: This is undoubtedly the best model. It can detect both Smoke and Carbon Monoxide and its voice alert technology will shout “Fire, Fire” when it’s smoke and “Warning – Carbon monoxide” when it’s CO. The best part is that you can use the hush feature to stop the alarm if you are sure the source of fire is not harmful, for example a gas stove fire.
So there you got the discussion on some of the best smoke detector brands in the market. Pick one that fits your needs and stay safe from fire hazards.